The Broderick Tower is at the top of every renovation story around the county. It’s supposed to be finished and renovated in November for those to move into. It’s almost 100% leased, and yet, it’s still not open.
The tower was originally constructed as the Eaton Tower in the 1920s, just like many of the other buildings Detroit has. Louis Kamper designed the 34-story Beaux Arts style building, originally for doctors offices.
It was built for a chemical magnate, Theodore H. Eaton, and cost about $1.75 million in 1926, or $21.5 million today.
The first five floors were retail and shops, but from then on up, it was all offices. That will change here in a few months though. What once had dentists chairs and filing cabinets are now going to have beds, kitchens, and sofa’s for lounging.
The lobby of the building was pure marble, black marble.
After World War II, David Broderick bought the building for an undisclosed price. Broderick was an insurance broker and renamed the building after himself. The top floors housed his offices and he even had his own personal suite.
He ended up dying only 13 years after purchasing the building, but the family still owned the building.
In the 1960s, one of the more famous restaurants in Detroit’s recent history was put on the ground floor of the Broderick Tower. For four decades, the Flaming Embers was a Woodward ave. establishment. The restaurant would close in 1993 amid a dispute over the cleanliness over the restaurant.
The building would change hands over the many years, finally being bought by Michael Higgins in the 1970s. He has owned the building ever since, despite disputes with the city.
In 2010, Motown Construction Partners announced that the financing was approved and it was ready for renovation. JC Beal and company have been renovating it since then, and it is going to be open for business in November.
For more on this great building, visit the HistoricDetroit.org page.