by Chris Zadorozny (@Zads07)
In the sixth preview of 15 Eastern Conference teams, the Philadelphia Flyers are a team that has made the playoffs every year since 2008 with the exception last season. Their goaltending is a constant carousel of change and there’s still some question of who their number one goaltender will be this season. The Flyers have great leadership, but it won’t mean much if they can’t score.
- Founded as an expansion franchise in 1967. The first ever expansion team in the post-Original Six era to win the Stanley Cup.
- 2 Stanley Cups (1973-1974, 1974-1975)
- 8 Conference Championships (1974-1975, 1975-1976, 1976-1977, 1979-1980, 1984-1985, 1986-1987, 1996-1997, 2009-2010)
- 16 Division Championships (1967-1968, 1973-1974, 1974-1975, 1975, 1976, 1976-1977, 1979-1980, 1982-1983, 1984-1985, 985-1986, 1986-1987, 1994-1995, 1995-1996, 1999-2000, 2001-2002, 2003-2004, 2010-2011)
2013 stats: Top 5 players
Claude Giroux (13 G, 35 A, 48 PTS), Jakub Voracek (22 G, 24 A, 46 PTS), Wayne Simmonds (15, 17 A, 32 PTS), Kimmo Timonen (5 G, 24 A, 29 PTS), Brayden Schenn (8 G, 18 A, 26 PTS)
2013 Team Rankings
9th in Goals/Game (2.75), 23rd in Goals Against (2.90), 3rd in Power Play (21.6%), 5th in Penalty Kill (85.9%)
- Steve Mason (20 GP, 7 W, 8 L, 1 OTL, .916 SV%, 2.59 GAA)
- Mason was the backup last year to Ilya Bryzgalov who was bought out this summer.
- Ray Emery (21 GP, 17 W, 1 L, 0 OTL, .922 SV%, 1.94 GAA)
- Blackhawks backup last season, is expected to contend with Mason for the starting job.
The Flyers cut loose their biggest problem last year in Bryzgalov, but once again, still have a question mark at the goaltending position. Emery is a former Flyer and could easily win the starting job based on experience in the league as Mason, who won the Calder Trophy in 2009, has regressed.
Additions: D Mark Streit (Trade/NY Islanders), F Kris Newbury (Trade/NY Rangers), G Ray Emery (Free Agent/Chicago), G Yann Danis (Free Agent/Edmonton)
Losses: F Shane Harper (Trade/NY Islanders), D Danny Syvret (Trade/NY Rangers), Ilya Bryzgalov (Buyout), Danny Briere (Buyout)
Games vs. Red Wings
- Saturday, October 12, 2013 vs. Philadelphia (7:00pm)
- Wednesday, December 4, 2013 vs. Philadelphia (8:00pm)
- Tuesday, January 28, 2014 @ Philadelphia (7:00pm)
The Philadelphia Flyers didn’t make the postseason last year in part to some awful goaltending. They have the forwards and the scoring to compete, but unless they solidify their goaltending situation, they won’t go very far. The Flyers should be another bottom feeder in the Eastern Conference this year, only because Mason probably won’t play much, and Emery, although a proven veteran, might not be able to handle round two in the city of Brotherly Love.
To read the original post that appeared on Sports Radio Detroit on September 1, 2013, go to www.sportsradiodetroit.com