by Chris Zadorozny (@Zads07)
In the 10th preview of 15 Eastern Conference teams, we will look at a possible feeder in the Atlantic Division. This team can’t seem to get things together, despite having an Olympic caliber goaltender and a couple of talented scorers, even though their depth is still young.
- Joined the NHL in 1970 as part of expansion along with Vancouver.
- 0 Stanley Cups
- 3 Conference Championships (1974-1975, 1979-1980, 1998-1999)
- 6 Division Championships (1974-1975, 1979-1980, 1980-1981, 1996-1997, 2006-2007, 2009-2010)
2013 stats: Top 5 players
Thomas Vanek (20 G, 21 A, 41 PTS), Cody Hodgson (15 G, 19 A, 34 PTS), Tyler Ennis (10, 21 A, 31 PTS), Jason Pominville (10 G, 15 A, 25 PTS), Steve Ott (9 G, 15 A, 24 PTS)
2013 Team Rankings
- 22nd in Goals/Game (2.46)
- 22nd in Goals Against (2.90)
- 29th in Power Play (14.1%)
- 26th in Penalty Kill (79.2%)
- Ryan Miller (40 GP, 17 W, 17 L, 5 OTL, .915 SV%, 2.81 GAA)
- Miller is the starter and a workhorse, as well as a possibility to start at the Olympics for Team USA.
- Jhonas Enroth (12 GP, 4 W, 4 L, 1 OTL, .919 SV%, 2.60 GAA)
- Enroth has been with the Sabres his 4-year whole career. He’s the backup once again for Buffalo.
Miller has been one of the top goaltenders in the world, but recently he has been surrounded by trade rumors. Despite the rumors, he’s still a top goaltender; he just doesn’t have a lot of top-tier players to support his goaltending. Regardless, Miller is the starter and expected to be a workhorse again this year.
Additions: D Drew Bagnall (Free Agent/Minnesota), D Jamie McBain (Trade/Carolina), D Henrik Tallinder (Trade/New Jersey)
Losses: F Mark Mancari (Free Agent/St. Louis), D Alex Biega (Free Agent/Vancouver), D Adam Pardy (Free Agent/Winnipeg), F Nick Tarnasky (Free Agent/Montreal), G David Leggio (Free Agent/Washington), F Nathan Gerbe (Free Agent/Carolina), D Andrej Sekera (Trade/Carolina), F Riley Boychuk (Trade/New Jersey)
Games vs. Red Wings
- Wednesday, October 2, 2013 vs. Buffalo (8:00pm) HOME OPENER
- Sunday, November 24 @ Buffalo (5:00pm)
- Friday, April 4, 2014 vs. Buffalo (7:30pm)
- Tuesday, April 8, 2014 @ Buffalo (7:00pm)
The Buffalo Sabres are a team still in the rebuilding process. Miller is still the goaltender that the Sabres need, but they need some talented players to surround him. Vanek is a phenomenal scorer, but has also has trade rumors surrounding him.
The Sabres are going to be one of the bottom feeders in the Atlantic Division and the Eastern Conference this year. The four games the Red Wings play against them should be competitive and fun for fans to watch.
To read the original post that appeared on Sports Radio Detroit, on September 19, 2013 go to www.sportsradiodetroit.com